Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte Arrested for Crimes Against Humanity
March 10, 2025 – Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has been arrested following an international warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for alleged crimes against humanity. Duterte, who led the country from 2016 to 2022, is facing charges related to his controversial war on drugs, which reportedly led to thousands of extrajudicial killings.

The Arrest and Charges
Duterte was taken into custody in Davao City, his political stronghold, by Philippine law enforcement authorities acting on the ICC’s warrant. The arrest marks a significant turning point in the ongoing international efforts to hold Duterte accountable for his administration’s alleged human rights violations.
The ICC has accused Duterte of overseeing a campaign of state-sanctioned killings targeting suspected drug offenders. Human rights organizations estimate that between 12,000 and 30,000 people were killed during the war on drugs, many of whom were alleged to have had no direct links to drug crimes.
Reactions from the Government and International Community
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has stated that his government will comply with international legal obligations while ensuring due process for Duterte. "We respect the rule of law and international justice, and we will allow the legal system to take its course," Marcos said in a televised address.
International human rights groups, including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, have welcomed Duterte’s arrest, calling it a long-overdue step toward justice for the victims and their families. "This is a victory for human rights and the families who have long sought accountability," a spokesperson for Amnesty International said.
However, Duterte’s supporters, including several political allies and former military officials, have condemned the arrest, calling it politically motivated and an attack on national sovereignty. Duterte’s legal team has vowed to challenge the charges, arguing that the ICC has no jurisdiction over the Philippines since Duterte withdrew the country from the ICC in 2019.
Legal and Political Implications
Duterte’s arrest raises critical questions about the future of the Philippines’ judicial and political landscape. If found guilty, Duterte could face life imprisonment. The case could also set a precedent for holding other former leaders accountable for alleged human rights violations.
The Philippine Supreme Court previously ruled that despite the country’s withdrawal from the ICC, the court retains jurisdiction over crimes committed while the Philippines was still a member. This legal standpoint strengthens the ICC’s case against Duterte.
What’s Next?
Duterte is expected to be transferred to The Hague in the Netherlands, where the ICC is based, to stand trial. His legal team is preparing appeals to challenge the validity of the ICC’s case. Meanwhile, human rights advocates are calling for further investigations into other officials involved in the war on drugs.
As the case unfolds, the world will closely watch how the Philippines navigates its commitments to international justice while balancing political divisions at home.
What's Your Reaction?






