Four Filipinos Remain Missing After Myanmar Earthquake

Four Filipino nationals remain missing after a devastating 6.8-magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar. The Philippine government, through the Department of Foreign Affairs, is coordinating with Myanmar authorities to locate the missing individuals while providing aid to affected Filipinos. Families anxiously await updates as rescue operations continue.

Apr 2, 2025 - 19:37
 0  3
Four Filipinos Remain Missing After Myanmar Earthquake
Four Filipinos Remain Missing After Myanmar Earthquake

Four Filipino nationals remain unaccounted for following a powerful earthquake that struck Myanmar on March 31, authorities confirmed on Wednesday. The Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is coordinating with Myanmar officials to locate the missing individuals while assisting affected Filipino citizens in the region.

Search Efforts Ongoing

According to reports from The Manila Times, the Philippine Embassy in Yangon is working closely with Myanmar authorities to gather information on the missing Filipinos. The DFA stated that it has been in contact with the families of those affected and assured them that search efforts are ongoing.

The 6.8-magnitude earthquake, which devastated parts of central Myanmar, has resulted in significant damage to infrastructure, leaving hundreds injured and displacing thousands. International aid organizations have stepped in to provide relief efforts, as essential supplies such as water, food, and medicine remain in short supply.

Government’s Response

The Philippine government has activated emergency protocols to ensure the safety of Filipinos in Myanmar. DFA officials have urged the Filipino community in the country to report any missing or injured individuals to the embassy for immediate assistance.

“We are in constant coordination with local authorities to account for all Filipinos in the affected areas,” DFA spokesperson Ma. Teresita Daza told Inquirer.net. “The embassy is also ready to provide assistance to those in need.”

Families Await Updates

The families of the missing Filipinos have expressed deep concern as they wait for updates. One relative, speaking anonymously to ABS-CBN News, said they last communicated with their loved one a few hours before the earthquake struck. Since then, all attempts to reach them have been unsuccessful.

Meanwhile, other Filipino workers in Myanmar have taken to social media to reassure their families in the Philippines that they are safe. The Filipino community in Myanmar has also mobilized to help those affected by the disaster.

Aid and Relief Operations

Humanitarian organizations, including the United Nations and the Red Cross, have been actively involved in relief operations, delivering aid to affected communities. Rescue teams are working around the clock to locate missing persons trapped under debris.

Authorities have warned that aftershocks could continue in the coming days, potentially causing further damage. The Philippine Embassy has advised Filipinos in Myanmar to remain vigilant and follow local government advisories for safety measures.

As Myanmar grapples with the aftermath of the deadly earthquake, the Philippine government continues to monitor the situation closely. The DFA has assured the public that every effort is being made to locate the missing Filipinos and ensure the safety of the Filipino community in the country.

For now, families of the missing individuals remain hopeful as search and rescue operations persist. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available.

Sources:

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow

Allena Magallones I'm a passionate author and gaming/tech enthusiast who shares the latest in entertainment, technology, and world news. I stay informed and value honesty. I take criticism positively and embrace opportunities to grow